I design lots of games. Former neuroscientist, former co-Founder of Move38, and currently a game designer/developer/marketer for North Star Games (Wits & Wagers, Say Anything, Evolution, Happy Salmon, etc).
- Winner,Concours International de Créateurs de Jeux de Société, 2007
- Finalist, 1000 Year Game Design Challenge, 2010
- Finalist, Mensa, 2015
- Winner, Best Combinatorial Game Award, BGG, 2015
- Winner, Best Combinatorial Game Award, BGG, 2017
My current favorites among my own designs:
I’m also a developer on the following games:
Design practice and principles:
- My goal is not to design “How did he think of that?” games but rather “Why didn’t I think of that?” games
- I specialize in 2p strategy games with minimal rules, multiplayer party games, and card-driven strategy
- Focus on generating emergent complexity from very simple, very intuitive rules
- I don’t do point salads. I prefer singular goals that are easy to visualize
- I’m crazy for hexagons
- I emphasize direct interaction in strategy games
- I value mechanics that allow for big, game-changing turns in strategy games
- Except in special cases, I like to design games that aren’t like others, rather than improve on preexisting concepts.
- When designing starting from theme, I focus on elegant simulations
- Lately I favor designs that seem fairly tactical at first, but which become more evidently strategic with experience.